Friday, May 31, 2013

Batman Villains

A visualization just for fun…

The 1966-68 Batman TV series was one of my favorite growing up. I ran to the TV twice a week in hopes that Catwoman (played by Julie Newmar) would be the villain! While still only a preteen, I didn't get the parodies and social commentary the show was making. Viewing it as an adult is much like viewing episodes of the Road Runner… there is an entirely different level of understanding to the dialog. While doing my research, I found it interesting that there were only 120 episodes. Far fewer than I remembered, but many more than the 79 episodes of my favorite series Star Trek.

This visualization uses data blending from 3 different datasets. Interactive actions have been created to assist users with filtering.

2 comments:

  1. Nice viz, Paul! Congrats on Viz of the Day honors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Stuff, Paul. A lot of fun to explore. Have a vague recollection of some of the characters, but not nearly all of them. So cool to see who played the different villains. I knew there were two Cat Women, but I had no idea John Asten also played the Riddler. Thought it was always Frank Gorshin. LIke your use of TreeMap. Wondering if you thought about coloring the "Villain Blocks" in the tree map to be the average IMDB Score of the episodes they were featured in, rather than replicating the size and color of the segments in the TreeMap to be number of Appearances? Would be interesting to see if the most popular villains with IMDB users were also the most featured. Just a thought. But Great Stuff. ~ Kyle Biehle (aka The Ivory Sofa)

    ReplyDelete